Tuesday, August 16, 2011

How is it, that no matter how much we new moms read, and talk to other moms, there are still some things that seem to (commonly) slip by.
I mentioned casually to our lactation consultant, Robin, how well Henry was sleeping. "Just to warn you, they often revert to waking more often around four months."

It wasn't a week later that Henry went from a guy who; went to bed around 8PM, slept anywhere from 5-9 hours (waking at most once for a quick feed) and then waking up for the day around 6:30... to a guy who; goes to bed around 7ish, wakes up for a 30 minute post bed time snack (?), sleeps till about 11PM, then wakes almost hourly after that. Until the start of the day around 5:30 ish. It is probably a combination of things. Teething, separation anxiety (as he now is aware of us, when we are there or not) and maybe making up for missed time during the day? (Since this all happened right when I went back to work.)

Experienced moms, when I mention this to them, say oh yeah, totally. New moms don't ever seem to know it's coming. So, consider this your warning.

9 comments:

  1. Oh boy. This is our life right now too. Our almost 5 month old was sleeping from 8:00pm until 7:00am or later. I was actually getting him out of his crib to nurse in the night! Now his nights sound exactly like Henry's. I'd heard and read lots about this but like you I find myself very surprised. It's really tough, for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep regressions ergh. They seem to be every month not that I ever had a good sleeper so there was no shock. The Wonder Weeks explains what weeks to look out for in terms of fussy/bad sleeping babies when it's a time from brain development. Then add in the teething and seperation anxiety depending how easily your baby is affected.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to read Ferber's book. Seriously. My little one (almost 5 months) was waking up hourly also. He has a chapter on night feeding/waking that TOTALLY helped. She was better in 3 nights. Before that, she had never slept through the night. And, it wasn't a big deal. She did great with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. if last night's and tonight's bedtimes are any indication of what's to come, i'm screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yeah, TOTALLY.

    Sorry ladies. Happens to everyone, but it doesn't make me feel less bad for you! 4 months is supposed to be a major developmental milestone causing your baby to wake up 5-6 times a night until, well, either you get used to it or you sleep train. (In my limited experience). It sucks.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally. My daughter is four months and one week, but she was also two weeks late. For us, the wakings started at about three and a half months (which was more like four months gestationally, if that's a word:). The good news is that for the last week or so, she's gone back to sleeping really well. She goes from 7-2 with no waking, and at 2 she just fusses and falls back to sleep. She doesn't eat till 5. I don't know how long this will last, because EVERYTHING is a phase, but I'm hoping it'll be smooth sailing for a while. So maybe there is hope? :)

    Have you discovered the blog Ask Moxie? That's where I learned about all this stuff. That and The Wonder Weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh god. this is EXACTLY what we are dealing with right now with our 19 week old daughter. she went from being a great little sleeper (going for her evening nap from about 8pm-11pm, quick feed, 11:30pm-4:30a, quick feed, 5am-8am). No longer my friend. We are now up every 1 1/2 hours all night long and up for the day at about 6am. This has been going on now for just under 2 weeks and I am ready to die from exhaustion. Where did my little sleeper go? I feel like we have a 3 week old again. Please tell me that this will be over soon! Good luck to you and hope you get some rest!

    ReplyDelete