Monday, October 17, 2011


Remember back when Jamie was talking about childproofing? I have to admit, at the time, childproofing seemed SO far into the future that I didn't really even give it a second thought. Well, things have changed. Right at six months, Cheech started to sit up on her own. I kid you not, just about a week later, she started doing that thing where she gets on all fours and rocks back and forth. From what I've heard, that means crawling is right around the corner. It's obvious that she's desperate to crawl. Although she's not exactly doing the hand/knee, hand/knee movement just yet, she is definitely mobile. If she sees something she wants a few feet away, whether by rolling or by nudging her little body, she'll make sure she gets to it.

As soon as I noticed this new development, I started to see our apartment in a somewhat different light. I began to worry about our low-to-the-ground cabinet full of glass barware and our bookshelves with stacks of very heavy books. And now when I look at our marble coffee table, I shudder. Just yesterday, she was sitting on the couch with me when she flopped over and landed on her pinky in a back bent position. The wailing that ensued was intense, but luckily after some hugs and a game of peek-a-boo, I was able to calm her down. It made me realize that if she can hurt herself so easily just by SITTING, then the damage that can be done once she's really moving is freakish. After all, I do have the baby that fell off the FOOT of the bed.

I totally get what Jamie was trying to say in that post. I don't want to spend every minute of every day saying "no" and keeping a hawk eye on Cheech, but at the same time, I just don't see how you can reason with a six-month old. So now it's inevitable, I guess. Project baby-proofing will start this week.

Photo, YrVelouria

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, I really don't get how people don't babyproof. I bought this awesome foam stuff that goes around the edge of our coffee table. I mean, *I* have hurt myself on our coffee table, sooo....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to add that after adding the foam to our coffee table, Greg and I have watched Dax's head make contact with what would've been its sharp surface probably 100 times, and each time we said, Phew. Babies have this weird magnetism towards corners of things and whatnot.

    Also, going over to peoples' houses that aren't babyproofed? EXHAUSTING.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yep. i have since decided to full on baby proof.

    ReplyDelete